Prospective candidates enroll for the examination after the first entries either during the normal entry period or through the walk-in-candidates option.
The Normal entry period lasts very close to the beginning of the examination. The close of normal entries is supposed to end access to the examination. In which case, no prospective candidate can register for the examination anymore after the close of the normal entry period.
However, in an attempt to assist prospective candidates, who missed out on the normal registration exercise due to one reason or the other, the walk-in-candidates option was devised and introduced.
It enables prospective candidates to participate in the examination without necessarily having to wait till the next year.
- It obtains only in the private candidate examination; it is not obtainable in the school candidate examination.
- There is only one central centre per state. The walk-in-candidate is not mixed up with the normal candidates. The centre is to be sited close to where the WAEC office is located.
- A prospective candidate reports in person to the zonal or branch office of residence for registration. Enrolment can only be done in WAEC Branch or zonal office.
- A prospective candidate is enrolled on the spot. His/Her photo card is printed and printed to him or her instantly.
- No registration by proxy. Nobody can register on behalf of the candidate.
- A prospective candidate can only enroll for and take the subjects that had not been taken at the time he or she wants to enroll for the examination.
- Enrolment can be done a day or even hours to the commencement of the subject(s) a prospective candidate wishes to sit provided the process is completed and the candidate gets to the examination Hall before the commencement of the examination.
- As a corollary of the above, the normal entry period ends close to the commencement of the examination. The walk-in-candidates entry can only commence after the close of normal entries a day or hour(s) to the commencement of the subject a candidate wishes to sit for. It does not take place simultaneously with the normal entries.
- There is no difference between the candidature of the candidate that enrol through normal entries and the walk-in-candidate. Both of them write the same examination and the scripts are given the same treatment. The results are processed and released together.
- While the normal entry fee is 13,950 Naira (Thirteen thousand, Nine hundred and fifty naira) only, the walk-in-candidate entry fee is 30,500 (Thirty thousand, five hundred naira) only. It is a bit higher because of the logistic involved.
The walk-in-candidate option is primarily meant for candidates who missed the normal entry period. It enables them to move on with their academic pursuit without having to waste an extra year at home for reasons of not taking advantage of the normal entry window. It affords candidates the ample opportunity to correct their deficiencies in their just released results and quickly move on to access the next level of their academic pursuit.