At least two persons have been killed in Osogbo, Osun State, on Saturday during the #EndSARS protest in the state.
The incident happened at Ayepe area of the town around 4:00pm.
Pictures and videos showing the victims are also trending on social media, particularly, Twitter.
The incident happened when Governor Gboyega Oyetola’s convoy was attacked in the state capital. The attackers were armed with cutlass, broken bottles and all sorts of weapons.
This incident occurred as the governor addressed protesters. It took efforts of security operatives to rescue Mr Oyetola from the scene.
This is not the first attack on protesters in Osun. A similar attack was launched on protesters last Thursday.
Earlier in the day, hoodlums wielding cutlasses had attacked protesters around the Olaiya Junction area of the town.
While many of the demonstrators are injured, some are yet to be accounted for.
Two of the protesters, who were reportedly macheted by the thugs are currently receiving treatment in different hospitals in the state.
The incident happened around 9:00am.
Ismail Omipidan, Chief Press Secretary to Oyetola, however, said security details attached to the governor were not involved in the killings.
He said, “It’s not true, it’s not correct. Earlier in the day, the state APC issued a statement raising the alarm that thugs sympathetic to a political party had infuriated the protesters.
“The thugs were seen brandishing guns and even shooting into the air earlier today. So by this evening when Mr governor was addressing the protesters, he got there around 2:30pm.
“If anybody died, the hoodlums who hijacked the protest should be held responsible. We know some of the perpetrators.”
The #EndSARS protests have been taking place across major cities in the country with youths demanding an end to police brutality and killings.
Members of the defunct SARS have been accused of crimes such as extrajudicial killings, kidnapping, extortion and intimidation.