[JUST IN] N4bn theft: Obiano to face trial as court refuses to revoke charges

0
96

A Federal High Court in Abuja has dismissed an application by the former governor of Anambra state, Willie Obiano, challenging the powers of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to prosecute him.

Obiano, who was arraigned on January 24, is standing trial on nine charges bordering on alleged N4bn theft.

But in a preliminary objection filed by the defendant through his lawyer Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN), he said the EFCC lacked the power to prosecute him.

- Advertisement -


He also urged the court to quash the instant charges against him, describing them as an abuse of court process.

Obiano added that no prima facie case had been preferred against him.

- Advertisement -

Ruling on the application on Thursday, Justice Inyang Ekwo said the application lacked merit and deserved to be dismissed.

Details later…

-Advertisement-


We do everything possible to supply quality news and information to all our valuable readers day in, day out and we are committed to keep doing this. Your kind donation will help our continuous research efforts.

-Advertisement-

-Want to get the news as it breaks?-