Donald Trump has permanently shut down the website he used to get around his social media ban and posts his statements after just 29 days , Mail Online reports.
‘From the Desk of Donald J. Trump’ has been scrubbed from the former president’s website and instead the URL redirects users to a page to sign up for his email and text alerts.
The site was set up when the former president was banned from social media sites like Twitter and Facebook following the January 6 Capitol riot. The site, however, received criticism from those who claimed it was a sad excuse for an alternative to these other platforms.
Senior Trump aide Jason Miller told CNBC that the site ‘will not be returning.’
‘It was just auxiliary to the broader efforts we have and are working on,’ he added.
It is not immediately clear why the former president decided to shutter the page.
A GOP strategist predicted on Twitter that it is ‘a precursor to him joining another social media platform?’
‘Yes, actually, it is. Stay tuned!’ Miller confirmed in a response to the post.
Trump promised after being booted from his accounts that he would set up his own social media site, which he insists is different from the ‘desk’ blog.
Miller claimed he is ‘hoping to have more information on the broader efforts soon’ regarding the new social media site.
‘I do not have a precise awareness of timing,’ he said
Trump unveiled his new blog last month billed as a ‘communication platform’ for the former president to interact more directly with supporters and the public after losing his access to other platforms.
A Twitter account set up to repost those statements verbatim was immediately shut down by CEO Jack Dorsey. The ‘desk’ site, however, also gave visitors the ability to easily share the statements for themselves onto social media platforms.