Micheal Taiwo Akinkunmi, a retired civil servant and the famous Nigerian Flag designer was announced dead on Wednesday 30th August, 2023.
Here are ten things to know about “Mr. Flag Man”:
1. Taiwo Akinkunmi was born on May 10, 1936.
2. Akinkunmi is from Abeokuta, Ogun state, but was born in Ibadan and has lived there most of his life.
2. He had his secondary education at the Ibadan Grammar School and got his school leaving certificate there in 1950.
3. While he was an undergraduate at Norwood Technical College in London he heard of the call to design the national flag and submitted his design.
4. In 1958, his design was chosen as Nigeria’s National flag.
5. Akinkunmi initially painted a sun on the white of the green/white/green which was later discarded.
6. He was awarded a cash prize of 100 pounds for winning the contest.
7. In 2010, he was given a presidential award by the federal government.
8. He was honoured with Officer of the Order of Federal Republic (OFR) and honourary Life presidential adviser on 29 September 2014 at the Conference Centre Abuja
9. In 2021, Akinkunmi unveiled the world’s largest national flag in Ibadan, the Oyo state capital.
10. He died on Tuesday, August 29, 2023.
We do everything possible to supply quality news and information to all our valuable readers day in, day out and we are committed to keep doing this. Your kind donation will help our continuous research efforts.