President Muhammadu Buhari has on Tuesday vowed to move against those behind insecurity in the country.
The president also said that enemies of the country perpetrating attacks on the nation’s security have run out of time.
President Buhari made these comments after receiving a briefing from Chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof Mahmood Yakubu, on series of attacks on facilities of the electoral body across the country.
Buhari said, “I receive daily security reports on the attacks, and it is very clear that those behind them want this administration to fail.
“Insecurity in Nigeria is now mentioned all over the world. All the people who want power, whoever they are, you wonder what they really want. Whoever wants the destruction of the system will soon have the shock of their lives. We’ve given them enough time.”
Buhari also opined that those perpetrating insecurity in the state were too young to know the travails and loss of lives that attended the Nigerian Civil War.
“Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand. We are going to be very hard sooner than later,” he said.
While speaking on the dangers posed to future elections by the burning of INEC facilities, Buhari said he would give the electoral Commission all it needed to operate fairly ahead of the upcoming 2023 elections.
In his briefing, Prof Yakubu said there had been 42 attacks on INEC offices nationwide since the last General Election.
“The 42 incidents so far occurred in 14 states of the Federation for a variety of reasons. Most of the attacks happened in the last seven months, and they are unrelated to protest against previous elections.
“From the pattern and frequency of the most recent attacks, they appear to be targeted at future elections. The intention is to incapacitate the Commission, undermine the nation’s democracy and precipitate a national crisis,” he said.