Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The All Progressives Congress (APC) yesterday, postponed its presidential primaries to June 6th and 7th. This is coming barely two hours after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) accepted appeals by political parties to extend the dates for the conduct of primary elections by 1-week.
2. Former Governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi yesterday, officially joined the Labour Party. Obi confirmed the development on his Twitter page on Friday as he registered with the party in his Agulu Ward in Anambra State.
3. Bashir Ahmad, Personal Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on New Media, has lost his bid to unseat Mahmud Gaya, lawmaker representing Gaya/Ajingi/Albasu constituency of Kano state in the House of Representatives. The presidential aide lost his bid to secure the ticket of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) for the 2023 elections.
4. A Federal High Court in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State capital, has cleared former President Goodluck Jonathan for the 2023 Presidential contest. The presiding judge, Justice Isa Hamma Dashen, who gave the judgement on Friday, also held that Jonathan’s right to contest for the office of president in 2023 cannot be stopped by any retroactive law.
5. The Supreme Court on Friday dismissed the appeal filed by a former Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, against the decision by Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State to set up a commission of inquiry to probe some transactions during his tenure as the state’s governor.
6. A few days after losing his bid to return to the Senate for the third time, the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions, Ayo Akinyelure has reportedly retrieved vehicles donated to chieftains of the Peoples Democratic Party in Ondo State.
7. The organisers of Headies Awards have threatened to disqualify fast-rising Nigerian singer, Habeeb Okikiola, popularly known as Portable for threatening to kill his co-nominees of the 2022 edition of the awards. The organisers who are not happy with Portable made this known in a statement on its verified Instagram page on Friday.
8. Former Senate Minority Leader, Enyinnaya Abaribe who announced his resignation from the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has joined the All Progressive Grand Alliance, APGA. He would be participating in the party’s senatorial primaries today (Saturday).
9. The primary elections of the All Progressives Congress APC, for the House of Representatives in the Alimosho area of Lagos, on Friday, turned bloody following the alleged killings of two party faithful. The incident occurred at about 3pm at the Secretariat of Ikotun/Igando Local Council Development Area, where the primary elections were held.
10. Former Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu has dismissed reports that he has defected to the Labour Party. Rumour emerged on Friday that the Senator, who withdrew from the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, governorship primary election in Enugu State, has moved to the Labour Party but his aide, Mr. Uche Anichukwu debunked the report.