Third Mainland Accident: Hope of rescuing passengers from lagoon dim

0
321
Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, Coordinator, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) says the hope of rescuing the two passengers who fell off a bus into the Lagos lagoon following an accident on Wednesday has become dim.
This is just as the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) said that the remaining occupants of the bus were seriously injured.

The impact of an accident earlier on Wednesday, according to Farinloye, had left two adults thrown off an 18-seater bus into the Lagos lagoon.

Farinloye had said  that personnel of the Marine Police were in search of the two adults, a male and female, who fell off the LT 18-seater bus.

The crash occurred by Adeniyi Adele axis inward Lagos Island, on the Third Mainland Bridge.

- Advertisement -


He said that the driver of the vehicle, who was  on  speed, swerved off the road and hit  the bridge railings, with the impact pushing the two passengers off the bus into the Lagos lagoon.

Speaking with NAN correspondent who was at the scene, Farinloye said that personnel dispatched from the Agency, joined by two teams from the Nigerian Police Marine Corps had been assisting in the rescue operations.

- Advertisement -
“However, by now, we are not looking at the search and rescue again, but recovery.
“This is because the male passenger was said to have floated about three times before he was finally drowned, while the woman did not even surface at all.
“Therefore, the possibility of anyone of them surviving is slim, ” he said.
According to him, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) had, however, mobilised more local divers to join the team for the recovery operations.
Mr Jonathan Owoade, Zonal Coordinator, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), also corroborated the explanation by the NEMA official.
Owoade said that other victims in the bus had been rescued to a nearby general hospital for treatment.
“We are on our way to the hospital to see their state of being and also commiserate with them,” he told NAN.
According to him, the accident seemed to have occurred as a result of speeding by the driver, given the impact.
NAN reports that the emergency response agencies were seen on ground at the scene of the accident, comprising marine police, LASEMA, FRSC, NEMA and the local divers.
The bus involved in the accident damaged part of the railings, and pieces of its shattered windshield littered the scene.

Meanwhile, LASTMA, in a statement by the Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department, Mr Adebayo Taofiq, said the 18 other passengers rescued in the bus accident and taken to hospital were seriously injured.

He said that LASTMA officer Olamide Ojo-Oniyun (One Alpha, Zone 1 Lagos Island) who led the recovery operations confirmed that his team had evacuated the LT Commercial bus off the road, for unhindered vehicular movement inward Adeniji Adele area of Lagos Island.

-Advertisement-


The General Manager of LASTMA Mr. Olalekan Bakare-Oki, also cautioned motorists to obey speed limits and ensure their vehicles are properly checked before embarking on any journey within or outside the State.

The Federal Government reopened the third mainland bridge on April 4, setting the speed limit at 80 km per hour, following extensive repairs over a period of five months.
Wednesday’s accident occurred on a day Muslims were celebrating the Eid-el-Fitr.
It came days after the Lagos Sector  of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) reiterated the call for safe driving on the newly reopened Third Mainland Bridge, after an accident occurred on it on Thursday.

A collision involving three vehicles had occurred on the bridge on Thursday, the day it was fully reopened to traffic after months of partial closure.

The FRSC described the Thursday incident, which involved three vehicles inward Iyana Oworo axis of the bridge, as an avoidable crash, and blamed it on negligence.

The Sector Commander, Mr Babatunde Farinloye, had told the NAN that though here was no injury in the accident, there was minor damage of vehicle.

The sector commander advised motorists to drive cautiously, reiterating the need to comply with the 80km per hour speed limit on the bridge.(NAN)

We do everything possible to supply quality news and information to all our valuable readers day in, day out and we are committed to keep doing this. Your kind donation will help our continuous research efforts.

-Advertisement-

-Want to get the news as it breaks?-