See the top 30 universities in Africa
The latest 2020-2021 ranking by the Centre of World University Ranking (CWUR) has listed these universities as the top 30 in Africa. They are:
- The University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Witwatersrand University, South Africa
- University, South Africa
- University Of Pretoria, South Africa
- The University Of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Ain Shams University, Egypt
- North-West University, South Africa
- Makerere University, Uganda
- Mohammad V University, Morocco
- Hassan ll University of Casablanca, Morocco
- Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
- University Of The Western Cape, South Africa
- University Of Ibadan, Nigeria
- Assiut University, Egypt
- University Of The Free State South Africa
- Suex Canal University, Egypt
- Rhodes University, South Africa
- University Of Yaounde, Cameroun
- University Of Carthage, Tunisia
- University Of Ghana, Ghana.
- Fayoum University, Egypt
- University Of Nairobi, Kenya
- Kwame Nkrumah University Of Science And Technology, Ghana
- Tanta University, Egypt
- Helwan University, Egypt
- Beni Suef University, Egypt
- Nelson Mandela University, South Africa
- Menoufia University, Egypt
- University of Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe
- University of Gondar, Ethiopia
READ ALSO: I’m a parent of COVID-19 survivor- Lagos Commissioner, Adefisayo
Only the University of Ibadan made the list in Nigeria, being in 13th position while the University of Cape Town (UCT) in South Africa came top as the best African University and 268th globally.
CWUR is a global university ranking that measures the quality of education and training of students as well as the prestige of faculty members and the quality of their research without relying on surveys and university data submissions.
The rankings will officially be released on June 8, 2020. “I have received a congratulatory message from the President of CWUR about Makerere ranking among the top 4.7% of the 20000 universities ranked. Makerere University has remained the leading university in East Africa and among the Top 10 in Africa,” Prof Barnabas Nawangwe the Vice-Chancellor of Makerere posted on Facebook.
READ ALSO: Governor Zulum orders reopening of secondary schools in Bama amidst COVID-19
Out of the first 30 best universities, Southern Africa and Northern Africa tallied with 11 universities. However, with the exception of the University of Zimbabwe, the ten remaining universities are South African universities.
Only four universities from Eastern Africa made it to best 30 while Western Africa scooped three.
The University of Cape Town has been on top of the game for a long time in Africa. Last year, Times Higher Ranking scooped the first position in Africa.
READ ALSO: Online teaching: At last, Nigeria’s vice chancellors take step to address challenges
We do everything possible to supply quality news and information to all our valuable readers day in, day out and we are committed to keep doing this. Your kind donation will help our continuous research efforts.